The following is a brief history of Pflugerville Texas:
Pflugerville, Texas is located 15 miles north of the Colorado River. It was founded back in 1860 and named in honor of Henry Pfluger, a German settler that arrived in the area back in 1849. It was originally a post office as well as a general store that was owned by Willian Bohls.
German immigrant Henry Pfluger left his native country, came to the United States and bought 160 acres of land from John Liese, his brother-in-law, who had immigrated prior to him. Henry Pfluger later exchanged the land in 1853 for a larger farm about 5 miles east of where Pflugerville is currently situated.
A community slowly started to develop after the Civil War and a school was established followed by a Lutheran Church. While there were other smaller businesses in the area, the vast majority of people still did most of their business in Round Rock.
The Missouri-Kansas-Texas line provided Pflugerville with a great population boom and Otto Pfluger, who was one of Henry Pfluger’s sons, built Pflugerville’s first gin in 1904. In 1909 a second gin was built. Pflugerville’s population dwindled with the Great Depression as residents moved elsewhere to find work.
Pflugerville started slowly growing again in the 1960’s and in 1965 it was incorporated. Its population increased to 452 by 1968 and 662 by 1980. A local newspaper called the Pflugerville Pflag was established in 1980.
Pflugerville experienced a slight slowdown during the recession of the late 1980’s, but the tremendous growth resumed once more during the 1990’s and the population almost quadrupled in size from just 4,444 in 1990 to 16,335 in 2000.
Over the past 19 years, Pflugerville’s population has experienced a growth rate of 192 percent, with the population growing to 48,356 according to the 2010 census and it currently stands at 64,431 according to the most recent population estimates.
That concludes the brief history of Pflugerville Texas.