The history of Dripping Springs Texas dates back to the first settlers to reach. He is thought to have been a man named Fawcett. He arrived in the year 1849. Documented history dates back to the year 1853, this is when three families, who were all related through kinship, decided to move to Texas. They packed their belongings and luggage in wagons and set course for Texas from Mississippi. They decided to settle and build their homes at what is known today as Wallace Mountain.
The area was 30 miles from Texas but it was still considered to be part of the territory. The area was mostly inhabited by Native Americans, the Indians. The three families were John L. Moss together with his wife Indiana “Nannie”, Dr. Joseph McKegg together with his wife Sarah and John Lee Wallace together with his wife Malvina.
On June 5, 1857, John Moss was given an appointment to become the first postmaster. In order to run a post office, the community where the post office was located needed a name. His wife Nannie Moss came up with an idea as she was at the Milk house branch of Edwards Aquifer and named it “Dripping Springs’. Dripping Springs then became a stagecoach stop and was included as part of a freight line that moved between Austin and Fredericksburg.
Dr J. M. Pound built what is now known as Dr Pound Pioneer Farmstead Historical Museum in 1824. The family operated and managed the farm for at least 130 years. It operated as a hospital and church. It was later donated to the city as a museum. Dr Pound was one of the first doctors in Hays County. The home took time as it was getting restored, restorations finally ended in 2003. The museum is free and tours are given to the public during specific select days. The building is significant in the history of Dripping Springs Texas.